I began conducting mediations as part of my family law practice in 1979, at a time when there were only a handful of attorneys and mental health professionals in the Seattle area even considering the possibility of mediation in family law. The mediation side of my practice evolved to the point where since 1995, I have limited my family law practice exclusively to mediations and arbitrations.
Because of my long commitment to the mediation process, in 1998 I was honored by the Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section, as their Attorney of the Year. In 1994-1995 I functioned as co-chair of the Guardian ad Litem Section for the King County Bar Association. I have written and spoken on a variety of family law and mediation topics.
As of June 2015, I have reduced my practice and am no longer conducting mediations for parties only. In addition I am not accepting appointment as mediator or arbitrator in the Dispute Resolution Section of a Parenting Plan. I am continuing to conduct Settlement Conferences and Arbitrations where both parties have an attorney present for the process.
BA in Political Science, Washington State University
Law Degree, Juris Doctor (JD), University of Oregon.
Honored as 1998 Washington State Family Law Attorney of the Year by the Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section.
Named one of Seattle’s 152 Best Attorneys by Seattle Magazine, January 2005
Named 2007 Super Lawyer in Washington State by Washington Law and Politics Magazine, Summer 2007
Named one of Seattle’s Top Lawyers by Seattle Met Magazine, June 2010
Named 2014 Super Lawyer in Washington State by Washington Law and Politics Magazine,
Named 2015 Super Lawyer in Washington State by Washington Law and Politics Magazine
Northwest Mediation Service – 1979.
Member of the Board of Directors of Northwest Mediation Service from 1979 to January 1992.
Chair of Northwest Mediation Service in 1987.
Co-Chair, King County Bar Association, Guardian Ad Litem Section, 1994-199
Washington State Bar Association.
Washington State Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section and Family Law Section
King County Bar Association, Family Law Section.
King Count Bar, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- Presenter at the University of Washington Social Work Continuing Education Program on March 16, 1984 with regard to “Mediation: Legal and Mental Health Issues”.
- Presenter at two seminars involving family law mediation for seminars sponsored by the Washington Arbitration Association, 1983 – 1984.
- Presenter at Washington State Bar Association seminar on Alternatives to Litigation Seminar in May 1985.
- Presenter at Eastside Human Services Counsel Workshop on October 8, 1987 on the subject, “Family Issues: A Juggling Act for Employees”.
- Presenter for Northwest Mediation Service for the following:
Mediation training for mediators
Mediation training for high school students
Mediation training for business managers at Microsoft on March 8 and 9, 1988
- Presenter at Northwest Regional Conference of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts for a program January 5 – 7, 1989 on the subject of the role and responsibility of the mediator when children are at risk.
- Presenter at N.W. Coalition of Missing Children Investigators & Professionals, April 22, 1993 on the subject “International Custody Abductions”.
- Presenter at Family Advisory Group, Vancouver, B.C., on March 10, 1993, on “Washington Parenting Act”.
- Presenter at National Business Institute Seminar, Key Issues in Family Law in Washington, August 17, 1993 on subjects of “Case Law & Legislative Update” and “Understanding Mediation and How to Protect Your Client’s Interests”
- Presenter at King County Bar Association Seminar, Divorce Mediation, November 19, 1993 on “Understanding Mediation, Settlement Conference and Arbitrations”.
- Presenter at Evergreen Legal Services Seminar, Family Law Practice Skills Training, January 31-February 1, 1994, on “The Hague Convention and Parental Abduction of Children”.
- Presenter at Northwest Coalition of Missing Children Investigators and Professionals, April 22-23, 1994, on “International Abductions of Children” and participation in Mock Trial on same subject.
- Presenter at National Business Institute, Inc. Seminar, Family Law Litigation in Washington, September 9, 1994, on “Settlement” and “Litigation a Family Law Case.”
- Presenter at King County Bar Association Seminar, Guardian Ad Litem Training For Family Law, November 4, 1994 on “Role of the Guardian Ad Litem”.
- Presenter at Washington Family Law Reporter Seminar, Winthrop Family Law & Mountain Bike Festival, August 18-19, 1995, on “Mediation and Settlement Conference Techniques: Ten (or more) Things to Remember”.
- Presenter at Washington State Bar Association Seminar, Valuing the Closely Held Business, October 19. 1995 on “The Use of Business Valuation Testimony in Closely Held Business Valuations: the Judge’s or Mediator’s Perspective”.
- Presenter at Washington Family Law Reporter Seminar, 2nd Annual Winthrop Family Law and Mountain Bike Festival, August 16-17, 1996, on “Alternative Dispute Resolution, Practical Suggestions for Better Presentation”.
- Presenter at Conference Sponsored by Operation Lookout National Center For Missing Youth on June 5, 1997, on “The use of mediation in the recovery of parentally abducted children”.
- Presenter at National Business Institute, Inc., seminar, “Successful Divorce Mediation in Washington”, on November 18, 1997, on topics of “Ethical Considerations” and “Special Concerns and Issues Regarding Dissolution Mediation”.
- Presenter at King County Bar Association, “4th Annual Family Law Institute” on December 12, 1997, on “Interesting Settlement Proposals”.
- Presenter at 4th Annual Winthrop Family Law Seminar on “Recent Issues in Family Law Alternative Dispute Resolution”, on August 14, 1998
- Presenter at University of Washington Law School Foundation Seminar “Agreeding to Disagree: Drafting Marital Settlement Agreements in the 21st Century” on the topic of “Issues Related to Children” on March 5, 1999
- Presenter at University of Washington Law School Foundation Seminar on “Issues Related to Children” on December 17, 1999 (repeat of the March 5, 1999 program).
- Presenter at the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, Canada seminar “Custody Orders” on the topic of “Washington State Parenting Plans and Legislation” on January 26, 2001.
- Presenter at King County Bar Association 8th Annual Family Law Institute on the topic of “Ethics: Congeniality v. Zealous Advocacy: Walking the Fine Line” on December 6, 2001.
- Presenter at the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (Cutting Edge Issues in Family Law) on the topic of “New Practical and Ethical Considerations for Mediation/Arbitration” on March 22, 2002.
- Presenter at National Business Institute seminar (Family Law Litigation in Washington) on the topics of “Ethical Perils in Divorce Practice” and “Preparing for Court/Mediation” on August 1, 2003.
- Ongoing guest speaker at Edmonds Community College, Paralegal program, on the topic of “Settlement Conferences and Family Law Mediation” inn August 2003, 2004 and 2005.
- Presenter at American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Eleventh Annual Conference on the topic of Mediation and Settlement Conferences, on March 25, 2005
- Presenter at Seattle University School of Law, seminar, “Preserving Family Ties: Alternate Dispute Resolution in Family Law”, on March 28, 2008
- Present at The Seminar Group, seminar on Relationship Agreements, on the subject “Mediation; Arbitration; Pitfalls: Prepare Client for Possible Outcomes”, on October 17, 2008
- Presenter at Seattle University School of Law, seminar, “Building Mediation Markets/Demand”, as the Keynote speaker on April 3, 2009.
- Presenter at Washington State Bar Association seminar “Community Property Law in Washington: Current Issues” on the topic of “Helping Your Mediator Help You: Preparing Complex Community Property Disputes for Alternative Dispute Resolution” on April 12, 2012.